“Inclusivity and diversity matters, humility matters, listening matters, social justice and equity matter, understanding power and privilege matter, and being part of social movements for transformative change matters.”

Nina Wallerstein DrPH ’88, MPH ’80 has been developing community based participatory research (CBPR) and empowerment programs for over 30 years. She has conducted health intervention research for families, youth, and women, as well as culturally-centered research with tribal partners in the Southwest United States. For the last 10 years, she has co-led a nationwide study to strengthen the science of CBPR, identifying measures, promising practices, and reflection tools to enhance partnership effectiveness for achieving health equity outcomes. With colleagues from Latin America, she has produced empowerment, participatory research and health promotion curriculum, available in Spanish, Portuguese, and English.

Berkeley moment

“Actually it was my comps, when my committee stated at the outset that I had already passed and now was just a time to discuss and think critically about the issues I cared about. Also I want to pay tribute to the wonderful colleagues and collective memories of friendship, intellectual camaraderie, and shared values within my doctoral seminar.”

Public health dream team

Martin Luther King for being a visionary leader who could unify and who ultimately recognized the integration of class, race, war, and violence (He needed to recognize the equal roles of gender equities). Bonnie Duran and Meredith Minkler for being my long-term colleagues who have challenged me to be a better thinker and scholar-activist throughout my career.”

A change to one U.S. policy that would transform public health

“Negative income tax (or family support) substantial enough for our poorest community members to raise all families 200% above poverty. Could be tied to immunization of children (as is done in some countries).”