Sarah Krevans MBA, MPH ’84 leads Northern California-based Sutter Health, a not-for-profit health system caring for 3 million patients—or one in every 100 Americans. As President and CEO, Sarah oversees Sutter Health’s 24 hospitals, 12,000 physicians, outpatient services, research facilities, and home health and hospice care. She’s focused on transforming healthcare to make high-quality care more personalized, affordable, and accessible for all—especially those most vulnerable. Krevans has received numerous recognitions for her leadership, including from Modern Healthcare and the San Francisco Business Times.

On public health and the challenges we face

We know that health is about so much more than health care. As CEO of Sutter Health, I am proud of the strides our healthcare system is making to address the unique needs of the diverse patients and communities we are privileged to serve. I’m excited about the potential to improve health outcomes through better data, more individualized approaches, community partnerships, and patient and family engagement. However, there are so many factors—like education and the environment—that we, as healthcare providers, do not control. However, with the right partnerships, we can all be part of the solution.

“Berkeley Moment”

I’ll never forget one particular moment from a class taught by Dr. Warren Winkelstein, Jr. On a test, he asked us to identify the numerous factors that impact public health—air quality, mental health, food security, income, etc. At the time, it seemed like the easiest test question; an automatic ‘A’! We all made fun of the quiz. I remember Professor Winkelstein saying with a smile, “You are all laughing, but you will remember that all these things are important for your whole lives,” and he was right.

Theme song while at Berkeley

“Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield.

That feeling that anything is possible, that this potential is inside you to change things. I remember feeling that in my professors and my classmates, and I see that in the UC Berkeley students that I am fortunate enough to interact with today. The words “Reaching for something in the distance, so close you can almost taste it” seemed very appropriate as I met recently with some very talented Dreamers who were students in the MPH program.

Honoree in the Media: